I posted this blog a couple years ago, but the content is still very relevant popular topic that is worth talking about. Enjoy and if you have any questions along the way, don't ever hesitate to reach out.
During client consultations, the number one question I am asked is what can be done to assist in creating a successful session? To help current and future clients, I have decided to put together a helpful guide to make any photo session successful!
Wardrobe & Grooming
- Everyone involved in the session should try on their outfits prior to the day of your shoot. Make sure that everyone is comfortable in their selection so it shows in your pictures. You will especially want to make sure you try any new child outfits to make sure they are going to be ok with it. It will help them get familiar with a new ensemble and also help to prevent any surprises the day of.
- Make sure your outfits are cleaned and ironed the night before (you don't want to scramble the day of your session!).
- Coordinate your outfits, you don't need to exactly match.
- If anybody is planning on getting their hair cut prior to the session, please do so a couple of weeks before. For men and boys- a few days prior should be enough time.
The Little Ones
- If your child is of napping age, please make sure they have napped prior (excluding newborns).
- Bring your child’s favorite toy(s) with you. It can help them feel more comfortable and even be a good distraction for them. I also love to capture moments of them with these toys as it allows us to remember something they loved during this specific period of time in their life.
- Please keep kids away from any food or drink that has a red color or sticky texture before and during the session. Such items can stain and be near impossible to remove- you don’t want to have your pictures showing your kids punch mustache!
- Make sure you have ample snacks and drinks with you for your children, but again, stay away from red dye and sticky food!
- For young babies/kids, bring an extra outfit, just in case!
- Keep the idea of the session light to your children. Approach it as a fun day, not as something that is critical to mom or the family.
- Pick a date and time where nobody is going to be rushed. Make sure you don’t have to be somewhere before the session so you have ample time to get ready and don’t have plans for immediately following. Things happen and sometimes can take longer than expected, especially with children. The last thing you want on the day you are supposed to be photographed is to feel rushed.
- Get plenty of rest the night before- we all feel our best when we have had a good night’s sleep.
- Make sure that everybody eats before the session. Session times can vary and you don’t want people getting grumpy or focusing on eating rather than having fun!
- Bring props with you- make the session personal and true to you.
- If you have any questions throughout the process, reach out! I am here to help make this a fun and memorable day.
- Most important of all- Relax and HAVE FUN!!!!